Home Forums Carers and Friends Dealing with the grief after a loved ones TBI

This topic contains 1 voice and has 0 replies.
1 voice
0 replies
  • Author
    FDAdminFDAdmin
    Keymaster

A TBI is almost like a loss. Its unexpected and the person you knew and loved is not the same anymore.

I set up this group after I met a man whose life had been taken away from him by a TBI. His was caused during an Op to restore his sight. Instead he was left with short term memory issues and more severe blindness.

I was under therapy for depression when I met him and as part of that we had a group therapy session where we were asked to write down our biggest regrets. I wrote down something but it was not really important. He spoke the word with tears in his eyes, “I regret having the operation….. who would ever want me now? “…

We became friends and I saw the effect on his wife who was now his carer. He told me the weight he now carried feeling he was a burden to her. She told me how she felt.

One day he was normal and the next he was not the man she knew any more .That person had gone and she was left with the memories. They still went on to build something different but I know deep inside she misses how things were before. TBI is so cruel and nothing can really prepare you for it.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by FDAdminFDAdmin.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by FDAdminFDAdmin.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by FDAdminGoldman66.
Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags